…This is probably the saddest iPhone update ever, as Apple’s newest software update comes with a feature called “Digital Legacy”, which gives access to our Apple accounts to friends or family – when we leave this world ☠️
After leaving the world? How?
It is important to have this… as companies like Google and Facebook already offered a feature like this for a few years – Apple was a bit more stingy about it.
- If a family member did not know the iPhone’s passcode/iCloud password, they would need a court order 📃 to force Apple to give them their deceased family member’s data.
- We’ll make it easier 👍 With this new change, specific friends + loved ones can access most of the data inside your iCloud account: Photos, messages, email, and more. (A full list here)
How do we do this?
First, make sure the iPhone 📱 is updated to the latest iOS version, iOS 15.2 – if not, the feature might not be there.
- Go into your iPhone settings, click your name.
- Select “Password & Security”, then “Legacy Contact”
- Choose up to 5 friends or family members to be your legacy contact.
- After that, you will get a special access code – keep that code in a safe place with your other important documents.
Any of your digital legacy contacts can go to Apple’s website with this special code + a copy of the death certificate to access the account.
🐿️: It’s always good to have a backup plan.